Bendigo Historical Society Inc.
 

Bendigo Historical Society Inc.

Society News

Contact Us


Visit our Shared Files

Bendigo History

This site is proudly supported by

Last Update
16th of July 2014

Historical Time Line

Some events in the History of Bendigo from the year 1836 to recent times.
(For a more detailed Time Line refer to pages 43- 47 of the booklet ‘Historic Guide to Bendigo’).

1836 The explorer Major Thomas Mitchell passes through the region.
1851 Mrs Margaret Kennedy and Mrs Julia Farrell find gold at ‘The Rocks’, now) Golden Square.
1853 Red Ribbon agitation of the miners against the amount of the License fee.
1854 Township survey and first Sandhurst land sales. First crushing battery set up.
1855 Sandhurt Fire Brigade was established.
1856 First Municipal Council elected.
1857 Connection by telegraph to Melbourne.
1858 Joseph Brady designs eight reservoirs along the Bendigo Valley for the Bendigo Waterworks Co.
Bendigo Pottery was established.
1859

George Avery Fletcher designs Town Hall.
Bendigo Agricultural and Horticultural Society was formed.

1860 Bendigonians travel to Barnadown to farewell Burke and Wills Expedition.
Bendigo Benevolent Asylum opened.
1861 Municipal Cattle Yards established.
1862 Melbourne to Sandhurst Railway opened.
1868 St Paul's Church opened.
1871 Sandhurst proclaimed a City.
First Bendigo Easter Fair.
1877 Coliban River water finally comes to Bendigo.
1879 Lake Weeroona opened.
1881 Alexandra Fountain opened by the Princes Albert and George.
1882 Local telephone service introduced in Sandhurst.
1887 Bendigo Art Gallery established.
A destructive fire in the Chinese Camp.
1890 First trams commence operation.
1891 Name changed from Sandhurst back to Bendigo after a poll by ratepayers.
1896 Law Courts in Pall Mall opened.
Sacred Heart Cathedral construction begins.
1898 Conservatory in Rosalind Park opened.
1904 Mechanics’ Institute and School of Mines amalgamated.
1905 St Aidens Ophanage opened.
1910 Scheme for the sewering of the central portion of city proposed.
1917 Gold yield and dividend the lowest in Bendigo’s history.
1926 Teachers’ Training College opened.
1931 Lookout Tower in Rosalind Park opened.
1936 Mining at Golden Gully, scene of the first gold rush in Bendigo, ceases.
1941 Announcement of Ordnance Factory to be built in Bendigo.
1949 Bendigo’s first municipal library established.
1950 The Northern District School of Nursing, the first of its kind, opens in Bendigo.
1954 Announcement: “not one mine working”.
1957 Cenotaph unveiled.
1964 Eppalock Dam opened.
1969 New dragon bought by the Loong 100 committee.
1970 Flora Hill campus of the Bendigo Institute of Technology opens.
1971 Central Deborah Gold Mine opened to the general public.
1972 Public tramway system closes. Talking Tram tours commence in December.
1977 Sacred Heart Cathedral completed.
1981 Shamrock Hotel re-opened.
1984 Bendigo Library complex opened.
1987 Killian’s Walk arcade destroyed by fire.
1991 Capital Theatre re-opened after restoration.
Golden Dragon Museum opens.
1994 City of Greater Bendigo formed by amalgamation with surrounding councils.
1995 Bendigo Building Society becomes Bendigo Bank.
1997 Bendigo Mining NL announces 12 million ounce gold resource potential beneath central Bendigo.
2001 Sesquicentenary celebration of discovery of gold and establishment of Bendigo.
Meeting of the Victorian Parliment in the Bendigo Town Hall.
2003 Re-opening of restored Town Hall.
2003 Bendigo Hospital and Bendigo Advertiser celebrate 150 years in the community.
2005 The Bendigo Advertiser moves to new premises in Queen Street.
2007 Bendigo Bank merges with Adelaide Bank to form the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited.
Warranga to Eppalock pipeline completed.
2008 Opening of the new Bendigo Bank Head Office.
DIGO moves from "Fortuna" to new premises.

 
 
Copyright © 2005 Bendigo Historical Society Inc. Developed by BWC & Bendigo's.Net