Heubach German porcelain doll. The head is badly cracked and taped together. The face is clear, but the doll’s eyes are loose and need to be reset. All parts are separate. The composition body is in need of repair. The doll has an open mouth with one tooth and pierced nostrils.
The doll is clothed in red cotton drawers with long legs and a knitted singlet, with a white lawn dress with lace tied together with ribbon. A crocheted bonnet is lined with silk.
Markings ‘Heubach’. Early 1900s
Ernst Heubach was a company in Köppelsdorf, Thuringia, Germany, that manufactured porcelain-headed bisque dolls from 1885 onwards.
My Dream baby doll AM 351
The doll has a bisque head, sleep eyes, painted lashes and two bottom teeth.
The doll’s head has been repaired. The composition body in good condition
The lawn dress has pink embroidery and appears to be the original clothes.
The doll was purchased from Harrods in London in 1926
Donated by June Adams
Armand Marseille of Sonneberg and Koppelsdorf, Thüringia, Germany was one of the world’s largest and best-known bisque doll head manufacturers.
Bisque heads made by AM represented a newborn infant.
Tin spice container containing six round spice tins labelled Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Ginger, Allspice, Cloves and Pepper.
Pink glass art deco style dressing table set with a rectangular tray, lidded bowl, perfume atomizer and perfume bottle with chrome tops.
This wax doll was owned by Elizabeth Annie Robshaw.
It has a waxed head and legs with composition arms and hands. The cotton body has sawdust filling.
The doll is dressed in cotton lace fabric. There are three cotton petticoats. One of lace and pintucks and two plain petticoats. There are cotton drawers.
The doll has wax legs with moulded boots and composition arms. The thumb is missing on the left hand. The doll wears a ginger wig. There are holes in the ears for earrings, but the earrings are missing.
There are no markings on the doll.
The doll’s face and shoulder plate are badly damaged.
1870 – 1890
Elizabeth Annie Robshaw 1872 – 1955
Elizabeth was born 19 September 1872 at Mitchell Street Bendigo.
Her father John Robshaw was a printer and stationer in a shop on a site in Mitchell Street.
Elizabeth owned a Bookshop and Library in the Bendigo Arcade after her father’s business was sold in 1905.
Composite face legs and arms. Painted features. Hair – possibly real, dark brown colour. Doll dressed in royal purple gown. Long sleeves with lace cuff. Faux fur collar around V shaped neckline at front and squared collar at back. Lace trim across front of neckline. Faux fur trim across centre front and centre back at hemline.
1. Mauve satin with darker mauve frill around hem line.
2. Stiffened white fabric.
3. White drawers with lace trim on lower legs.
Painted on shoes in gold paint.
Boudoir dolls are dolls that are made to sit on beds and sofas as decorations rather than being used for play. They are also called bed dolls, flapper dolls, and French dolls.
Although dolls that sit on beds are still being made today, the classic vintage boudoir dolls were made from the 1920s through the 1940s. Some of the earliest dolls, made even earlier than 1920 in some cases, were made in France. Many of the dolls were made in an art deco style.
Wedding dress worn by Ella Nicholls at her marriage to James Mitchell on 12.1.1915.
James Mitchell is listed as a shearing contractor on electoral rolls
1919 at 11 Wellington St Geelong
1927 – 1967 in Bendigo
First at 49 Neale St (now demolished and part of Kennington Oval precinct)
Then at 96 Neale St. Kennington
Ella Celia Mitchell died in 1970 and was buried on 17.3.1970 at Bendigo Cemetery Lawn 2.
Her father was John Nicholls and her mother Annie Kane.
James Mitchell was buried on 1.11.1974 at Bendigo Cemetery Lawn 2
The “Georgian” sealing set in a blue leather covered box with a brass clasp. Contents include a crucible, wax seals, matches and a spirit burner. The inside of the lid is lined with blue silk. Gold lettering reads “Patent No. 30394/10 Third Hand Patents Ltd 881 City Rd E.C. Donated by Wiegard 6.11.69”.
Clay seals were used in the earliest known civilizations. Wax seals became prominent in the Middles Ages and were unique to their owners.
Wooden butter mould with dove tailed joints on corners and a hole in the base. The butter box was used to mould the butter into a traditional block shape. They needed to be kept scrupulously clean and the inside thoroughly wetted before pressing the butter into the mould.