The Society holds a culturally and historically significant collection of books, documents, photographs, artworks, textiles and objects. Many of the photographs and documents are irreplaceable.
BHS has relocated its Collection to History House 11 Mackenzie Street Bendigo.
History House will be closed from 4 December 2023 – 1 February 2024 while building works are undertaken within the building.
President, Secretary and Treasurer email contact will remain available.
Address: Bendigo Historical Society, History House, 11 Mackenzie Street, Bendigo 3550
Postal address: 11 Mackenzie St. Bendigo. 3550
We have a Research Officer based at History House who answers research enquiries.
Research Requests will be UNAVAILABLE from Monday December 4 until Thursday February 1, 2024.
History House will be closed during this time while building works are undertaken within the building.
The aim of the Bendigo Historical Society Inc. is to encourage and facilitate the study of the history of Bendigo and district. The Society shall acquire, research, preserve, conserve, interpret and exhibit material which illustrates this history.
Statement of Purposes
- To encourage the study of history, especially the history of Bendigo.
- To promote the compilation and presentation of authentic records relating to Bendigo.
- To promote historical research.
- To acquire by purchase or donation or by way of loan all such objects and materials as have bearing on the history of Bendigo and to establish, furnish and maintain libraries and museums to house and preserve the same.
- To accept gifts of money or chattels whether testamentary or otherwise.
- To promote interchange of information among members of the Association by lectures, readings, discussions, excursions and exhibitions of objects of historical significance.
- To publish books and papers of historical interest.
- To raise funds for maintenance of Society property and to further its interests.
- To establish and carry on rooms for the above purposes of the Society.
- To subscribe to, become a member of and/or co-operate with any other association, club or organisation, whether incorporated or not, whose objects are altogether or in part, similar to those of the Association.
We are grateful and thankful for the support of local businesses.
They have supported us, so please help by supporting them.