The Society holds a culturally and historically significant collection of books, documents, photographs, artworks, textiles and objects. Many of the photographs and documents are irreplaceable.
Access to the Collection storage facility in Nolan Street is by appointment to make donations of items to the collection and for assistance with research requests.
The volunteers at Nolan Street are progressively cataloguing the collection and entering the data onto Collections Management and Archiving Software (MOSAiC).
Public access to the Bendigo Historical Society Inc. is at Specimen Cottage 178 – 180 Hargreaves Street Bendigo.
Volunteers are available to answer enquiries and assist with research queries.
You can also visit our Facebook page.
The Society has ten licences for MOSAiC Collections Management and Archiving Software.
More than 25,000 items have already been added to the database. Volunteers are preparing to upload the BHS database to the internet, where it will be accessible to the public. Watch this space.
The aim of the Bendigo Historical Society Inc. is to encourage and facilitate the study of the history of Bendigo and district. The Society shall acquire, research, preserve, conserve, interpret and exhibit material which illustrates this history.
Statement of Purposes
- To encourage the study of history, especially the history of Bendigo.
- To promote the compilation and presentation of authentic records relating to Bendigo.
- To promote historical research.
- To acquire by purchase or donation or by way of loan all such objects and materials as have bearing on the history of Bendigo and to establish, furnish and maintain libraries and museums to house and preserve the same.
- To accept gifts of money or chattels whether testamentary or otherwise.
- To promote interchange of information among members of the Association by lectures, readings, discussions, excursions and exhibitions of objects of historical significance.
- To publish books and papers of historical interest.
- To raise funds for maintenance of Society property and to further its interests.
- To establish and carry on rooms for the above purposes of the Society.
- To subscribe to, become a member of and/or co-operate with any other association, club or organisation, whether incorporated or not, whose objects are altogether or in part, similar to those of the Association.
We are grateful and thankful for the support of local businesses.
They have supported us, so please help by supporting them.