Under this title a large photographic picture was issued in 1894 from the studio of Mr. H. Hanson, of McCrae street, to the order of Mr. R. Walker of Melbourne. The original Photograph is owned by Sandhurst Trustees Bendigo. It has six additional photographs attached.
There are 472 photographs of pioneers of Bendigo. The earliest of these arrived in 1851 and most of them by 1860. The great majority, however, were pioneers from 1851 to 1856. Many hundreds of other pioneers during this period are not included in the picture. There are no women included in the picture. There are no indigenous people. This impressive photographic picture represents a selective group of pioneers but we should all continue to research and acknowledge the stories of all of the people who contributed to the city we know today.
The list of transcribed names was taken from “A Photographic Record of the Pioneers of Bendigo” compiled by Rita Hull in 2012.
Volunteers from BHS have undertaken a project to find the obituaries of the 472 men included in the picture.
Some additional research has been completed where an Obituary could not be found. Several men could not be traced.
The Obituaries were mostly found in local newspapers and are reproduced as they were published at the time.
Please be aware that there are some spelling mistakes in the list of transcribed names and there may be some inaccuracies in the obituaries. Further research may be needed to support some statements.
The Pioneers of Bendigo picture is available on the State Library Victoria website.
The Obituaries are being collated and will be added to the website as they are completed. This project is now completed..