☰ MENU
×
BENDIGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC

PRESERVING HISTORY FOR THE FUTURE

Slider

Wooden Butter Pats

Two wooden butter pats from about 1880. Donated by Sister Kerrins of Don Street Bendigo. Sister Kerrins ran a private hospital in Bendigo for many years.
In the 19th century butter pats were used to shape butter into bricks ready for sale or use. Excess moisture is pressed out of the butter before the butter maker used the butter pats to shape the butter. One side of the bats are serrated to squeeze out moisture. The butter was then stamped with a design or pattern to identify the individual farms or dairies.